Friday, November 25, 2011

INSPIRATION BOARD: melrose's master bedroom

I just posted my inspiration photos and now I wanted to share my official design. So far we have successfully updated the paint color (wall and ceiling), hung curtains and rods, purchased a dresser for myself, replaced the fan, and arranged few knick knacks, but the main issue is the furniture. It is in desperate need of a new home (yard sale!). It was Brandon's furniture as a child and has made it's way to Auburn, to his frat house, to Montgomery, and now to Homewood so you can imagine the war wounds it has incurred since then! 


I am not a huge fan of matchy-matchy furniture sets - nothing against them, just not my style. I like to find separate pieces that work well together so you have variety in the room. And this way you can add pieces that contrast one another so it doesn't end up seeming "too dark" or "too masculine/feminine".


Brandon got it stuck in his head that we needed all wood furniture for some reason so that is where the search began. I love the upholstered, tufted headboards that are so trendy right now, but apparently that would not cut it with B. After much research and deliberation, I settled on this beautiful, modern sleigh bed with carved rosettes. Our bedroom is not very deep, so I am still anxious to see how the exaggerated sleigh headboard fits in the room. We had to order the one without the footboard to leave walking room for the dresser. 


Here is a simple layout of one side of the room to illustrate the new bed and decor. Due to my industrial design background, I have to make sure everything fits and coordinates perfectly so this is to scale!
sorry for the image of the quilt, Serena & Lily no longer makes that so I had to use the only miniscule pic I could find


Yes, that is Brandon's skull mount above the bed. I thought the space looked too symmetrical and since the headboard is straight across, I thought it needed something above it to balance it. The large white frames above each nightstand will be 30" square and display a wedding picture in each. They will be similar to the ones I made for above my bar except with a large matt and small picture. And above each frame is a small, gold gilded convex mirror. 


For the rest of the room, I created an inspiration board with the other items I have in mind for the room. I can't wait for it all to come in so I can begin arranging it all!
ONE: restoration hardware empire rosette sleigh bed
TWO: trio of antlers
THREE: brass lion door knocker
FOUR: west elm striped sheets
FIVE: coral ikat fabric for euro shams
SIX: round wooden mirror
SEVEN: serena & lily gold quilt
EIGHT: haven's harbor nightstand
NINE: cape comber bachelor's chest
TEN: restoration hardware empire rosette dresser 


Don't worry, this isn't all ... I am leaving some stuff to the imagination! I will be sure to post B&A pictures once I have it all in place. Also making it's way into the bedroom and on my nightstand are a few of these gorgeous books I posted about earlier. 


follow my pinterest board for quick updates too!

No comments:

Post a Comment