Monday, June 4, 2012

BACKYARD PROJECT: before

Melrose's backyard project has just kicked off and before I show you updates along the way, I wanted to share some before pictures and our final inspiration for the makeover. I know I have posted several inspiration posts over the past year, but I have finally narrowed it down. Here is what I am aiming for:
Now that you know what I have slated for design, here are some pictures of our current backyard so you can put it all together. It will all make sense now!

This picture is taken from standing at the back door off of the kitchen. I am standing on a tiny platform with stairs leading down to the yard (you can see it in other pictures). See all that gravel? Apparently the previous owners used to pull through the side gate (on right) and park back here. We do not use it for parking so all this gravel is being removed and sod is being laid. Can you say bocee ball court?
Same view, but from standing on ground level. Those two existing patios are screaming for some company. The arbor with confederate jasmine will be covering the large, stone patio and the fireplace will sit on the small, concrete pad. I am planning on having a dining set on the left side and a "lounger" on the right side in front of the fireplace.
Standing at the back of the stone patio facing what will be the fireplace. The fireplace should conceal a lot of the neighbor's yard and chain link fence. And, we are planting tea olives along the rest of the fence to create privacy. We are replacing all the current grass with new sod so it will look consistent and hopefully grow in the bare spots. Brandon loves to work in the yard so he is going to have a lot to keep him busy!
There are two large flower beds that we have not done a single thing with since moving in. We just left them 'b' since they needed the soil tilled up and new top soil laid. Too much for me to do! The landscapers are re-aligning the stone walls, making them even along the width of the yard, fixing the stairs, and planting a variety of evergreens and perennials. I decided to plant gardenias along the back for their greenery and lovely smell, then peonies for the cut flowers, and alternating lamb's ear and hostas in the front. I'm excited to finally see some life back here! And between the gardenias, confederate jasmine, and tea olives - the back yard should smell amazing!
Well, that is it! What do you think? I will share an update post asap! And if you follow me on instagram, you have probably all ready seen a sneak peek of the fireplace. We have had a few days of bad weather lately so it has set the project back a day or two, but it is all ready looking great - I can't wait to share the progress with you!

4 comments:

  1. ooh, I love it! What a great yard. It seems we both have a similar scheme that is going to happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I saw your yard progress the other day and it looks awesome! Can't wait to see what else ya'll do. I guess now's the time for yard makeovers!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Casey! I can't wait to see the end result either! ;)

      Delete